Our daughter is approaching her 6 month “birthday” in a few short weeks… it makes me want to smile and cry, all at the same time! She is constantly rolling over, loves to giggle and squeal, and is seeming significantly older every morning when she wakes up. I wish I could freeze time… but since I can’t, I’m trying to make the most of every single day (and take lots of pictures).
It’s a whole new ball game with Lively rolling over now and coming up on crawling soon. It’s hard to believe she is the same tiny newborn we brought home from the hospital a mere few months ago. I definitely don’t have the whole “mom thing” down (who does anyway?!), but I wanted to share a few of my favorite baby products that were essentials during the first few months of Lively’s life. Thank goodness for the mommy community; many of these items were ones friends with little ones told me about!
- Pacifiers and clips: Before Lively was born, I had no idea if she would take a pacifier or not. I never took one when I was a baby, but Duncan absolutely loved his. We offered Lively her first pacifier when she was three days old, and she loved it from that day on! We use the Philips Avent Soothie pacifier (we have 3 of them, so I can rotate them to sanitize and have one designated for bed that’s not attached to a pacifier clip). For the clip, we use these cute ones from Amazon. Lively loves chewing on the silicone beads now, too!
NoseFrida: We got this as a baby shower gift, and it has recently been coming in handy! Lively has been super congested the past couple of weeks, and this has been a lifesaver!
- Rock ‘n Play: Some sweet friends of ours actually introduced us to the Rock ‘n Play and are letting us borrow theirs! Lively has been sleeping in her pack Pack ‘n Play beside our bed since she was born, but I love putting her in the Rock ‘n Play during the day (if she’s on the verge of falling asleep for a nap, it always does the trick when I lay her down in this). She’s getting close to outgrowing it now, which is going to be a very sad day!
- Medela Breast Pump: If you are breastfeeding, a pump definitely comes in handy! I still pumped a lot in the beginning, even as a stay at home mom, because I wanted Lively to be able to take a bottle (for when we go out on dates :)) and so Duncan could feed her once a day. Since he’s busy with school almost constantly, it was special for him to have that feeding time with her once a day! Also, in the beginning when breastfeeding was so new, it was nice to have a break from feeding once a day. I have a pretty basic pump, but it works great. I also love the Medela sanitizing bags (for cleaning the pump parts and bottle pieces)!
- Baby Carriers: I have a WildBird ring sling and an Ergobaby 360 4 Position Baby Carrier. The WildBird carrier honestly took me a lot of practice (and watching video tutorials) to be able to thread properly, but once I got it figured out, I loved it. It’s really nice for daily use. I really like the Ergobaby carrier I have, too! It is perfect for walks, hiking, and even just daily use.
- Milk-Saver: Another super helpful item if you are breastfeeding! A kind mommy friend of mine introduced me to this (thanks, Mackenzie!). It has helped me save a ton of milk, especially in the beginning when I was producing the most.
- Boppy Pillow: I’ve loved this pillow for breastfeeding! It makes feeding Lively so comfortable and easy. I got the plain pillow as a shower gift and splurged on a cute cover, because I knew I’d be using it a lot!
- Nursing Cover: I have this Milk Snob nursing cover that also doubles as a carseat cover. I love it and have used it more times than I can count!
- Shopping Cart Hammock: Okay, this one was a major game changer! I had no idea about these until a friend surprised us with one for Lively. I had a lot of anxiety about grocery shopping without Duncan before this hammock, but now I honestly don’t worry about it at all. Lively loves it! I can buckle her carseat into the hammock or buckle her straight into it. I’d highly recommend getting one of these!
- A big, quality diaper bag: Last but not least, a good diaper bag with plenty of room is a must-have. It’s something you bring with you everywhere, and once you have a baby, you feel like you are way over-packing everywhere you go (seriously, a trip to the grocery store requires so many items for your baby- preparation for a blowout, spitting up, and all kinds of other things!). The time you try to go somewhere real quick without your diaper bag is the time you will need it most!
- Stroller/Jogger: I love going on walks, so a jogger has been something I’ve used a ton since Lively was born. This Graco Click Connect one works great with her carseat. I can simply lock in her carseat, or use it without the carseat. It is perfect for walks at the park, or even for walking around the mall.
I’m sure I forgot some essentials or am just missing out on some. I would love to hear any other baby must-haves you’ve discovered! Happy Sunday!
Always and forever,